Friday, February 27, 2015

Banana & Oats



So we really like breakfast at our house. I know a lot of people who say they don't like breakfast and usually skip it, but I have NO IDEA how they can do that! I go crazy unless I get food in my belly, I guess that goes to show how much I like to eat! In the long run though I am really glad I like breakfast, it starts off my day on a positive note. 

In my under grad I used to help people in the "University Wellness Center" on campus, with their daily nutrition and found that lot of people don't know the importance of breakfast. 

Here are a few things that skipping breakfast will do....

1. Make your energy levels go down, so even though you may have gotten a great nights sleep you will still be tired throughout the day.

2. Your body will be lacking in the nutrients and vitamins it needs to have proper and peak function. Leaving your body more hungry throughout the day making you want more substantial food like carbs and protein, and eating big portions of that can cause weight can and other health issues, and if you think about it your body will still be lacking in the nutrients it gets from fruit and veggies because those aren't as filling, well in some instances.

3. Decrease cognitive function! Everyone needs ALL the help they can get with that one ;)

Source(s): "Choose Your Foods" Healthy Management book from the American Dietetic Association
A 2005 Journal of the American Dietetic Association review of 47 breakfast-related studies


I know I sound all nerdy saying this but really everyone needs a yummy and quick breakfast that will taste good in their belly! Here are a few of our favorites with
Bananas & Oats
both filled with a good source of fiber which helps you stay full longer & gets you going for the day.


Breakfast Fruit Pizza
Ingredients:
3/4 cup dry oatmeal
1 mashed banana (1 medium banana)
1 tsp raw honey, or any other sweetener
Add-ins: Flax or chia seeds seed, cocoa powder, cinnamon, peanut butter


If it seems really mushy you can add more oatmeal. If it seems too thick you can add a little bit of applesauce or smash up more bananas.

Combine ingredients and make two 6 in oatmeal pizza. Place in oven at 350 and bake for 8 min. Flip it over and cook for an additional 6-8 min till browned at the top. Let it cool down and top with a few Tbsp of yogurt, I like Fage, plain greek yogurt and then top with berries and nuts!

** Rachel Maser has made something similar, I just adjusted it to what we had :)




Banana Cookie Ball 
(This is more of a snack)Thanks to my good friend Rebecca Tong for sharing this with me
Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas
11/2 cups of oatmeal
1/4 cup of any toppings, chocolate chips, dried fruit,etc.
Dash of pumpkin spice and cinnamon...you could get really creative here

Bake at 350 for 15 min. 












Banana Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 ripe banana
1/2tsp. vanilla
4 egg whites

Mix all ingredients in blender. The best way to do it is have your griddle on low, and make them
smaller cakes. This will help them cook more evenly and not break as easily.

Top with berries and Pure Maple Syrup
I really like doing 2tsp syrup and 1 Tbsp of plain Greek yogurt, mix till runny and drizzle on top with
your berries


Healthy Hearty Homemade Granola
This one is lengthy in time but it sure makes the apartment smell good and makes a lot!

Ingredients:
7 c. rolled oats
1 c. wheat germ
1 c. shredded coconut
1 tsp. Salt
1 . tsp vanilla
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. honey
3/4 c. Coconut oil
1 Tbsp water

Pre-heat to 225 degrees. Mix ingredients well and spread on 2 cookie sheets. Bake for 1
hour stirring occasionally. I have a gas oven and I just made it recently and it took about 2 to get it
the crunchiness I wanted. Just eye ball it till it looks like what you prefer for granola ☺

When its down and cooled I eat mine with a little almond milk and chopped bananas and chia seeds








No comments:

Post a Comment